6 Best Fly Fishing Rods For Beginners 2019 [Reviews]
With a history that dates back to 150 years (approx), Fly fishing rods are one of the most common and widespread forms of fishing rods.
If you are looking to buy the best fly fishing rod, then you are at the right place. We have covered for you the techniques on choosing a fly fishing rod and compiled the original reviews of some of the best fly fishing rods in the market.
So, before we get down to review the most popular products (of which most of them I have personally tried for writing an unbiased review and for a few I have taken the help of my friends who use them).
6 Best Fly Fishing Rods for the money 2019
So now that you know what to look for before buying the best fly fishing rod, here are reviews of some of the best rods available in the market as promised.
1. Echo Base Fly Rod
From the house of the most trusted fishing, accessory makers come another reliable, sturdy and durable fly fishing rod, the Echo Base Fly Rod! There is plenty to say about this great rod, to begin with, it’s your lifetime partner! Yes, the Echo base comes with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer. So no questions asked about its quality and performance.
A perfect travel-friendly fly rod that comes with four easy to assemble attachments. It’s lightweight, and so it is easy to carry around when on vacation.
The manufacturer has taken good care of assisting people with its assembly, they have given alignment dots that are very helpful in quickly and efficiently assembling the fly rod.
It doesn’t matter whether you are a beginner or a pro, the Echo Base Fly Rod is made for everyone. The best part of having this fly rod is that it’s not expensive. Given all that it has to offer, it becomes the best value for money fly rod.
Its perfect grip and cast and rod weight makes very easy to handle, so go for it. Oh! Wait. Before you go, let’s take a look at its highlighted features:
- Made from graphite, that makes it highly durable and strong
- Extremely lightweight
- It’s a 9 foot 8 weight fly rod
- Has chrome guides
- Comes in translucent blue color
- Value for money
- Lifetime warranty
So, without further ado, grab this impressive piece of perfection for the best fishing experience!
2. Tailwater Outfitters Toccoa Fly Rod
Is budget your constraint? Look no further; the Tailwater Outfitters bring you a high-performance, low budget fly rod: the Toccoa Fly Rod!
The Toccoa fly rod is a fast action fly rod made from superior grade graphite that gives it extra strength and flexibility.
The entire rod comes in a Travel-friendly pack of four pieces each has an alignment dot for easy and fast assembly.
One of the most admirable features of this rod is it’s ceramic, and chrome stripped guides which makes gliding of fly lines super smooth.
Another striking benefit of owning a Toccoa Rod is that you get a fully machined reel seat made of aluminum that has double- lock ring. This makes attachment of reel on the fly rod very easy and holds it tight.
For extra comfort and firm grip the rod is supplied with Handle made of half well cork.
The Toccoa Rod is perfect for long cast, windy weather conditions and can handle intense muscled fishes.
When you own this rod all that you need to do is focus on fighting fish without worrying about breaking or damaging the rod. Why? Because, the rod is made of IM8 graphite which makes it sensitive, flexible and super durable.
It comes in a classy dark grey color that looks so stylish and natural.
So before you make your choice let’s take a look at the most admired features of this fly rod:
- Super stylish, robust and highly durable
- Made from IM 8 carbon fibers(graphite )
- Best fit for fast action fly fishing in harsh conditions
- Travel-friendly with four easy to assemble attachments
- Perfect grip on the handle
Well, what else can you ask from your fly rod! You got everything right here at an unbeatable price. So go, get your share of adventure and fun now!
3. DRAGONtail Tenkara Fly Fishing Rod
From the house of a trusted brand that has been delivering high quality with high standards, now comes the Shadowfire 360.
The Shadowfire 360 is a 12 feet medium action fly fishing rod. Made from IM 10 carbon fibers or graphite, the rod is capable of handling mid-sized fish even with its lightweight.
One of the most talked about feature of this fly rod is that you can assemble it to fish in less than three minutes. Well, I first didn’t believe the advertisement but when I bought it , I timed my set up, and it does that. It took me only 2 min and 35 sec to set my fly rod to fish.
The Shadowfire is a classic made for fly fishing lovers. It’s just 2.9 oz and is a 6:4 action fly rod with nine segments. Well, it’s a quiet presenter for its section, but its graphite body gives it the strength to fight even a large trout.
Another that I loved most about this fly rod is that it can quickly collapse into a 20.5’ which makes it easy to fit in my backpack. So my travel issues with a fly rod are practically solved. Now all I need is my backpack to get going on my fishing camp.
The Tenkara is a trusted name when it comes to making technically advanced and tactic friendly fishing gears. It comes straight from Japan where fishing is necessary and challenging. This makes the Shadowfire a one of a kind fishing rod that will never disappoint you.
Let’s summarise it's featured for you:
- High-quality IM 10 graphite make
- 12 feet collapsible into 20.5’, travel-friendly size
- It takes less than 3 minutes to set up
- Lightweight weighs only 2.9 oz
- It’s a 6:4 action; 9 segment fly rod for medium action
Well now that you know what’s in the bag, you can surely pick it for the best action-packed adventure.
4. Fenwick AETOS Fly Rods
The AETOS fly rod an advance featured fly rod with high performance, faster recovery speed, modern tapers, well crafted and lightweight magnificence of superiority and classic fly fishing rod.
If angler fishing is the game that you play with all luxuries, the AETOS is a must buy for you. It’s stylish, well crafted with gunsmoke strippers guides along with a double foot gunsmoke snake guide, making it incredibly smooth in performance.
With a four section blank having carbon flake accents and aluminum anodized reel seat with a double lock, this fly rod is a must for those anglers who are keen on making a precise and elegant cast with a lot of presentation.
Talk about comfort and no one can beat this beautiful beast. With AAA cork handle and robust structure with lightweight feel gives you the support for a long time.
So if you are on the hunt for a reliable, durable flexible yet lightweight and stylish fly rod, your search ends here.
Before we wind up on this, let’s take a quick look at its features:
- Gunsmoke stripper-guides with large diameter
- It’s a 15’ with 10/11 weight.
- Available in saltwater, freshwater, Spey and switch models
- It has four section five weight fly fishing rod
- Select from seven different weights and sizes
With all these features and so many options under one roof, the Fenwicks has one for everyone.
Are you an aggressive angler fisher? A lightweight extremely Powerful fishing rod is all that you need! All thanks to the Temple Fork Outfitters. The BVK series fly rods are highly durable, reliable and very powerful and with their lightweight, it makes the best fly fishing rod.
The rod is well structured with carbon fitted fiber seat for the reel, an ultra- hard chromium anodized stripping steel guides and a tactical contoured and comfortable handle grip.
A fly fishing rod that is extremely light in weight and very responsive with high sensitivity is all that you keep eyeing for, and this TFO BVK outdoes all current standards to rank best-in-class.
The sophisticated blanks designed with translucent olive blanks with matching braided carbon-fiber seat is out as an exclusive tactical series of fly rods. This fly fishing rod has been designed to withstand extreme fishing conditions and to deliver performance in most rigorous fishing times.
Tactical fishing Outfitters have very carefully crafted this technically superior and most advanced fly rod in the lightweight category that is bound to mesmerize you with is power packed performance.
At this price range, and with these features, the TFO BVK has a monopoly in my view, and if you lay our hands on this masterpiece, without doubt, you will feel the same.
Here are a list of it’s highlighted features that are sure to cast a spell on you:
- Extremely light in weight, available in 3-12 weight
- Has Translucent blanks
- Well fitted reel seat made of carbon fiber
- Flor grade comfortable handle grips
- Hard chromium I peg ended and anodized stripping guides
Well, what else can you ask for at such an affordable price! Quality and best performance guaranteed with every fishing experience.
Is medium-fast action fly fishing rod on your mind? Well, we got one perfect t fit for you. The Fenwick HMG fly fishing rod a highly user-friendly fishing rod in the medium fast action category.
The matte black color makes it elegant with the four section blank having carbon binding. The triple-A grade cork handle makes it very comfortable to hold even for the longest time and balances the weight of the rod perfectly.
The Fenwick HMG are the game changers. They are the one that provided the world with the graphite fishing rods, so undoubtedly their quality and technology cannot be questioned. They are leaders from the front when it comes to fly fishing rods.
The HMG have come up with this latest version of their graphite fly rod that has outdone all the existing standards with quick and smooth action fly rod that can generate high line speed. It also delivers accurate cast and retrieves both in short and long distance.
So if you are looking for a performance oriented lightweight HMG, then this fly fishing rod will never disappoint you.
Before you go, on adding it to your cart let’s summaries it's features for you:
Very easy to use, suitable for both beginners and pro
Large diameter smoke guides
Double foot smoke matte snake guides
4 section blank along with carbon binding
Triple-A grade cork-handle
Aluminum anodized reel seat with lock function
Well, where else can you find these features with an assurance of best performance, most beautiful and quality guaranteed?
How To Choose A Fly Fishing Rod?
Before you know how to choose a fly fishing rod, it is critical to understand its importance. A fly rod is used to cast a fly or artificial lure to the fish by creating momentum in the fly line while controlling the direction and distance of the line thrown (using the rod). The fly rod plays a critical role while you retrieve the line to fight the fish you have caught. So, when you buy a fly rod, you have to measure every aspect of your fishing angles, fish you want to hook and waters where you will fish.
Here are some points you must keep in mind before you choose the fly fishing rod:
- The weight of the line and rod: Now, this is an essential factor you cannot afford to overlook. Your fishing rod has to carry the weight of the entire line and not just the lure. A well-balanced weight of the rod and line gives the anglers fishers the ability to cast long and accurate. For best result always buy the fly rod and line of the same weight.
- Length of the rod: There is a thumb rule when it comes to the length of the fly rod. Short rods are used for more accurate casting in tight waters like natural waters with trees or underwater structures. Shorter the rod more accurate is the cast. So if you want to fish in closed water like a lake with lots of weeds and trees or a stream with low hanging cliffs then a fly rod with short length like 6-8 should be good, and so is true for vice versa.
- Action or bend of the rod: Action in a fly rod means the bend in the rods at various points like the shaft, tip and in the middle. You must know that a fast action fly rod is one that has more bend at the tip. A medium action fly rod has more bend in the middle while a slow bend/action rod has more bend at the shaft. Each kind of rod is set for a different purpose, and you need to know each to make a wiser choice. I have created a list of all three with their suited purpose:
- Fast action rods: powerful, less flexible, have a quick load and unload time and are ideal for those who are pro at the game.
- Medium action rods: they have moderate power and more flexible with moderate unload and load time and are suitable for beginners.
- Slow action fly rod: not much strength, flexibility in the entire rod, low-speed line and slow load-unload rate and is ideal for fly fishing beginners who fish in small rivers.
So, these were the reviews of the top makes and models available in the market. It’s not just me but many like me who have rated these products “excellent” according to their experiences.
But if you ask me one particular fly fishing rod that made me sway, then I will say the TFO BVK. Now, this is my personal choice because I am more into the power play and like strength in the performance. Its lightweight yet it can fight the big angry fish as well, and that is what I like about this fly rod. Rest, you can choose the fly rod according to your preferences, but do not forget to share your review with us.